Friday, August 28, 2009

Cumbrian Hills Excersion







Yesterday I was fortunate enough to accompany Imerich, the hotel deputy manager in his car through the Cumbrian hills and up to Whitehaven by the ocean. The sights were incredible and the roads were narrow, hilly and windy. We stopped to explore an old Roman fort, and then we stopped again to enjoy a pint at a hidden pub in the middle of the mountains. Aside from the occasional hiker tourist, the places we stopped in the mountains were deserted, except for the many goats and lambs grazing in the meadows. In Whitehaven we stopped at a nice little café for dinner and were lucky enough to get a seat by the window which overlooked the ocean and the Whitehaven port. The trip took about 5 hours round trip because we stopped frequently for pictures and took our time driving through the very narrow, and at times dangerous, roads.
I finally got a cell phone and will send out mass emails with the number asap. I went to the closest town, Kendal, on my day off to buy the phone and on the train I met a girl Emma, who is also working as a receptionist at a hotel in Bowness. She was delightful and gave me tips about which network to sign up for on my celly. She is British but had just returned from a trip to BC a few months back. She loved Canada (who wouldn’t?) We exchanged numbers and she is probably going to meet up with us on Tuesday for my birthday celebrations.
On Monday night we had a fabulous staff outing for Anne’s going away party. I ended up staying out way too late and had to get up way too early for work the next day. Fortunately my boss Mathew is super nice and he actually came out with us too and got just as little sleep as I did so he understood. Saying goodbye to Anne was sad because she was the first person I met here and is an amazing girl. The good news is that now I have an awesome contact in Spain and I plan on visiting her during my holidays.
Work is going well so far, but there is much to learn and always exceptions to every rule. I imagine with a few more shifts I will start to get the hang of it. There are lots of American guests at the hotel that say “oh your American too!” to me when I speak to them during check in. It’s quite comical.
I was invited to go to Blackpool with Chris (AKA Stammper, a server at the hotel) and his girlfriend next week if I am off the same day as him. Hopefully I can go, it’s supposed to be a pretty cool amusement park. I work til 3pm on my birthday and then I have the next two days after off so it worked out pretty well. Again, I am lucky that my boss Mathew is a sweetheart.
Well that’s all for now. Enjoy the few pictures I was able to post. My facebook is being funny and wont let me upload all my photos just yet. Hopefully I can figure it out soon. If you check out my profile picture you will see a snap shot of the corridor in the staff quarters which was taken during Anne’s going away party. When there is something to celebrate here we tend to round up quite the crew!
Miss and love you!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carlie:

    Love the Blogs. This is such a way to keep us all in your loop. It sounds like you having a fabulous time and I always knew you would. The thing about people being nice is that we always get back what we give. You are a kind and loving person and people will always respond back to you that way because to send out that vibe. You are going to have a wonderful life because of that trait.
    I did remember that tomorrow was your birthday and I was going to try and see if I could call you. Do you have Skype on your computer? I use it on mine and it quite good - we could even do a video hookup! As soon as you let us know your celly number and I will call.

    Love ya, Uncle Randy

    ReplyDelete